Oh no! Oh no! (McArthur's Cake)


Something is lost
Something is missing

You do not smile
At the wedding

You do not smile
At me

And I fear you might
Be leaving me

I am perplexed
By silences

That sometimes
Seem kind or not

My heart pounds

Like a fist into
The birthday cake
Of old

Fragments everywhere
Everything in smithereens

Too many

Broken relationships
Too much unforgiveness
Too much blame

Mistakes
Blown out
Of proportion

I am Elijah
Beneath the bush
Of defeat

And Richard Harris sings
Words that put some shape
On the frontier in which
I am found 

I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh, no!
Oh, no!

Comments

  1. Great poem. But we want you to know that we smile when we talk to you, as you are an inspiration in our lives xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

30 Days

Death With Life Contended (Easter 2024)

Be Stretched Beyond

Brendan (A leap-year leave-taking)

THAT SACRED WRITING OF GOD (An Experience of Lent)

Unbreak My Heart

COME THEN MY BELOVED: The Funeral of Father Michael Clarke SAC

TO YOU I SURRENDER (My Lord and my God)

O LORD OF MERCY (Who Am I)